Monday, October 25, 2010

Can't I Just Fix It?

God did not give me the kind of mind to come up with solutions to problems. Now, He made me a good worker bee but just not a very creative problem solver,

I am sitting here while my sweet hubby is watching the football game and I look up and see all these big, burly football players wearing pink. Completely blows me away. They are all wearing pink. Gobs and gobs of people run every year for breast cancer, tons of companies support and donate millions of dollars to breast cancer. All of this because Susan G. Komen's sister promised her she would make a difference. Wow, has she ever made a difference and her sis is looking down and so very proud of her.

There is so much going on in our lives right now, so much I am actually losing sleep over. I want to fix my brother in law, who after not one, not two but three heart attacks is struggling through recovery and rehab. I want to fix his boys who have spent so many days and nights refusing to leave the hospital and have had to deal with way more than any sons should have to deal with. I want to fix their beautiful wives who have just stepped up to the plate and taken care of the families so their hubbies could be with their dad. I want to fix the chaos that has seemed to surround everyone, sometimes so much so that the truth has been hard to see.

I want to fix our homeless situation. I want desperately to be able to come up with a solution for a shelter. The city council will meet again this Thursday and it seems they will pass the ordinances to make it illegal to be around the civic center or Mahon library between midnight and 5:00 a.m. Doesn't really sound like a big deal except, since there is no shelter in Lubbock, these are the only two places with awnings to at least allow our homeless friends to stay out of the rain and snow. The city says the homeless problem is not their problem. Funny, I thought citizens of Lubbock were all the responsibility of the city council.

I love all of these people, but I can't seem to figure out a way to fix any of their problems. See, this bothers me because, I like to fix things! I need to fix things. I NEED to find a way for my brother in law to go home and be safe and not hassled or harassed. I NEED to figure out a way to get a shelter here in Lubbock, I NEED to figure out how to articulate my thoughts in a way that people in power will listen. I NEED to know that my friends will not freeze to death this winter because I couldn't come up with an idea.

I NEED your help, all of you, anyone with any ideas. Please, all ideas will be so appreciated. If you are like me, and a much better worker bee than an idea person, I NEED your prayers. We can all pray. We can pray for all of the people I have mentioned and for those others we know who are in need of prayer. Maybe you have a loved one in a bad relationship or struggling with addiction or maybe, just maybe, you know someone who is homeless. Maybe you know someone who is being manipulated and deceived and you just want to see this person open their eyes. Maybe someones marriage is in trouble, maybe your marriage is in trouble. Maybe someones kids are stumbling or have just decided not to even try and walk a steady path. Maybe someone's past just continues to haunt them, like mine does.

God, today I thank you for every person who reads this and takes a moment to have a talk with you. I pray for marriages, families and our homeless brothers and sisters. I pray for compassion from our city council and I pray for a solution for shelter to come to the forefront very soon. I pray that everyone who reads this be overwhelmed with the realization of freedom they have in you. This freedom will allow us all to put our past behind us and leave it there. Once we can do that, maybe we can concentrate more on the future and what we can do to shine your light for others!

No comments:

Post a Comment